With the right help from RSL LifeCare At Home there is the opportunity for people living with dementia and other complex needs to remain at home with their loved ones.
Our team is trained in dementia care and knows how to interact with clients through the different stages of the disease to best support them. Working with families and carers we evaluate what clients can and can’t do and together we develop a care plan based on what they would like to achieve whilst keeping them safe and secure.
Your customised care plan could cover:
Your health & wellbeing
- Ensuring the client has nutritious meals and is eating and drinking well. We can also assist with meal preparation if required
- Ensuring personal hygiene and grooming is maintained
- Providing nursing support for medication assistance, regular monitoring of general health and other services
- Reviewing your safety around the home and reducing potential safety risks. We can also provide advice on equipment which can keep the client safe, giving peace of mind and reducing anxiety.
- Assisting with general housework – cooking, cleaning, washing etc. – and home maintenance if required
Strategies to reduce anxiety
- Establishing a routine to reduce the reliance on the client’s memory and help them feel more in control
- Having a memory ‘hub’ in their home which has a calendar, noteboard, phone, diary and pen all in one area where notes can be written and reminders displayed
- Providing continuity of care as part of their routine to reduce anxiety
- Looking at triggers which could lead to agitation or problematic behaviour
- Planning for the future – taking into consideration their future personal and financial needs and steps caregivers and families may wish to consider
Socialisation & interaction
- Ensuring social connection and companionship
- Including strategies designed to stimulate mental and physical activities, both of which have been proven to assist people to become more lucid in their thoughts. This may involve interaction with pets, listening to music from an earlier era, supporting them in their hobbies, looking at family photos and engaging them through general conversation.
- Providing transport for shopping, medical appointments and social outings
- Providing respite support for carers
Dementia Day Care
Dementia day care provides the opportunity for people with dementia to socialise and participate in activities such as music and exercise programs. By your loved one attending dementia day care this also provides the opportunity for some time out for caregivers. To find out more about dementia day care in your area please call us on 1300 853 146.